Monday, June 21, 2010

Baseball lessons

One of our goals during the 2010 Summer of Baseball is for Colin to learn how to keep score at a baseball game. We took another stab at it a couple weeks ago, during a Clearwater Threshers-Dunedin Blue Jays game. He got in a couple innings of practice, asking good questions ("It's a backwards K when the batter strikes out looking, right?" and "Can I have some Cracker Jacks?") early on before I took over for a few innings.

I know there are different ways to score a game, but I'm showing him the method I learned back in the mid-1970s. Either way, it provides another father-son memory that, perhaps, he'll pass on someday to his children.

We'll get in a few more practice sessions here over the next few weeks. Who knows, maybe he'll sit still long enough to score a complete game. If not, we'll have plenty of time together at ballparks.

No comments: