Monday, July 9, 2007

Touching base

Between getting my butt kicked by diabetes and Florida's twin 90s (90-plus degrees and 90 percent humidity), I've taken quite a bit of time off lately from hounding baseball teams.

Now that I'm feeling better, and the hapless Rays will kick off the second half of the season with a homestand with the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Angels, perhaps I'll dust off some baseballs and cards and see who I can get.

I'm not putting much hope into getting any Yankees. Not only will they draw a crowd at the team hotel, but the locals tell me they're one of the toughest teams to hound. Either way, I'll try to stop by at least once. Maybe Colin will prove to be a good-luck charm.

As for the Angels, I can only hope to get Vladimir Guerrero, Gary Matthews, Orlando Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, John Lackey and Francisco Rodriguez on single-signature baseballs. I suppose that might be asking a bit too much, though.

Later in the month, though, I'm really looking forward to the Red Sox coming to town. Granted, they'll probably be just as tough as the Yankees, but they're certainly worth (to me, at least) the extra effort.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Any idea how Akinori Iwamura has been signing with the Rays? I've wanted to get him but haven't had the money and time to get a roll of stamps for baseball requests as I was saving for vacation.

I should be sending to a few other Rays players soon too, notably B.J. Upton and Delmon Young.

Puckhound said...

From what I understand, he's a pretty willing signer. One of the dealers said he'll sign anything put in front of him. I haven't hounded the Rays yet, but I'll find out some day for myself.

Drew said...

Good, I was planning on writing to him. As bad as they are, the D-Rays have become one of my favorite teams, as the three I mentioned are keeping my fantasy baseball team alive.