Monday, June 18, 2007

Practicing what I preach

After spending the past season being a human facebook for most every NHL team that traveled to Tampa, trying my hand at hounding baseball players this year has been a humbling experience.

Sure, I'll recognize the big-name or the veteran players. Beyond that, though, I'm as clueless as they come.

Rather than ask other collectors or dealers, I'm going to follow my own advice. I'll take the time to do my homework. I'll check out rosters and stats, just to make sure I'm up to speed. I'll also memorize faces so I can easily point out who's who. Simply, I'll just do what I've done for years as a hockey hound.

And, as I've said before, I plan some pretty hard-core cherry-picking when teams come to St. Petersburg. In fact, I'll practice these principles over the next week as the Los Angeles Dodgers play the Rays.

For the Dodgers, in town Friday through Sunday, I'm hoping my biggest score will be, believe it or not, announcer Vin Scully. And if Fernando Valenzuela makes the trip, I'll be certain to ask him, too. Among the players, I'll be looking for Nomar Garciaparra, Luis Gonzalez, Jeff Kent and Derek Lowe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for your mission, Vin doesn't travel with the team anymore except to away games to the other NL West teams.

Puckhound said...

Though it's definitely bad news, I appreciate the head's up. I've spent enough time looking foolish out there.